Monday, September 23, 2013

Amazing NCHA Open Futurity Win

Many days in class, I find myself watching cutting horse videos on YouTube instead of highlighting the lecture notes. Although I'm an A student, extremely active in on-campus activities, and love learning, I can never keep myself from being more interested in cutting than Managerial Accounting or Chemistry.

Everyone always says you can reach your dreams if you just persevere and try hard enough, but they always forget the last part of that encouragement-- if you have enough money. Let's face it, cutting is not an inexpensive hobby and you don't just show up at Futurity show. Sadly, there are not many underdog Seabiscuit stories in cutting, but there are many great legends like Secretariat.

This morning, I found myself clicking through cutting horse videos again, and I found one that really struck me as amazing. At the National Cutting Horse Association's (NCHA) Open Futurity in Fort Worth, Texas, rider Kathy Daughn rode Royal Fletch (Jae Bar Fletch x Royal Blue Dually) to a record breaking 229 winning run. I included the video below to show just how athletic, intelligent, and quick Royal Fletch really was.


To me, the sport of cutting is huge in popularity for its consistent ability to keep getting better, to keep breeding more amazing horses, and the endless adrenaline rush that comes with its 2 1/2 minute series of rollbacks, sliding stops, and fake outs between horse and cow. Royal Fletch emulated the purpose of cutting in his 2000 Futurity run, one that will never be forgotten in cutting history.

Watching these videos almost every day makes me wish even more that I could be like Daughn or ride the next Royal Fletch. For now, I'll stick to my dream of writing about these amazing riders and their horses, and maybe one day they'll let me hop on and take their pony for a spin-- literally.



No comments:

Post a Comment